Urban Institute Study on Marriage and Choice
Are You in an Unwanted Arranged Marriage?
Are You Being Pressured into One?
Do You Know Someone Who Has Experienced This?
The Urban Institute is conducting a research study on marriage and choice, to improve services and policies. Many couples are happy in arranged marriages, but we want to learn about situations when someone does not want to get engaged or married.
If you or someone you know has experienced this, please call us at 1-888-218-1742.
Confidential and anonymous conversations – we won’t ask for your name.
Receive $30 for participating.
Interviews are conducted anonymously over the phone.
Service referrals available.
All genders and backgrounds welcome.
Some examples could include:
- When an engagement or marriage occurs because of family or community pressure
- When an individual is pressured into an engagement or marriage for immigration reasons
- Someone is pressured to get married because they are acting in ways their family or community does not approve of
- When a marriage takes place out of the country, and one or more parties did not know that they were traveling to get married
- When a person is engaged or married under the age of 18
We want to learn more from you about these types of marriages.