- This event has passed.
POSTPONED Webinar: International Safety Planning – Supporting Survivors Facing Imminent Travel and Transnational Abandonment
June 30, 2020
This webinar has been postponed to allow FMI staff to shift focus onto mission-critical work in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. A new date and time will be posted when possible.
Individuals at risk and survivors of forced marriage face significant safety risks including the threat of being taken, and in some cases abandoned, overseas.
Providing effective advocacy in such cases requires advanced and creative risk assessment, safety planning, long term emotional support and coordination with agencies not often involved in domestic violence intervention work.
In this webinar we will review common case scenarios and provide guidance for identifying and screening cases with risk of travel, as well as best practices to support survivors seeking to avoid travel or reduce harm while overseas and tips on how to assist in coordinating a repatriation for those already overseas.
- As a result of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify indicators of travel risk and the limitations faced by survivors abroad;
- Empower survivors to name the risks they feel they are facing when travel is being planned;
- Effectively safety plan around non-consensual or high risk travel; and
- Provide effective support and referrals when a survivor reaches out for support from abroad.