- This event has passed.
Training for Montgomery County DHHS
October 24, 2017 @ 8:00 am - 1:30 pm
Forced Marriage in the United States
Forced marriage is a significant, yet hidden, problem. Victims often face physical and psychological abuse, rape
and denial of education and opportunity. A 2011 Tahirih Justice Center survey identified 3,000 cases over two
years. Presenting complex risks including multiple perpetrators and victims, travel overseas, and extreme
isolation and control, minors face significant legal limitations preventing them from accessing services, leaving
home, or seeking protection orders.
This training will equip service providers with an understanding of forced marriage, and its intersectionality with
other forms of harm including female genital mutilation/cutting, domestic violence, child abuse, stalking, and
human trafficking. Interactive case scenarios and group discussions will prepare service providers to identify
and respond in a manner that is safe, survivor-centered, and culturally responsive. This training is provided by
the Forced Marriage Initiative at the Tahirih Justice Center; website: www.preventforcedmarriage.org.
Social workers, counselors, CPS social workers and nurses, community service aides and DHHS community
partners who work with school age children.
• Discuss the complex dynamics of forced marriage in the United States.
• Explain the impact of forced marriage on health, education and opportunity of victims.
• Understand the intersectionality of forced marriage with other forms of harm.
• Identify and respond to cases of forced child marriage in a manner that is safe, survivor-centered, and
• Define the vulnerabilities and barriers to accessing support experienced by minors facing forced marriage.
Continuing Education Credit
Credit hours: 3.0
• Maryland Board of Social Work Examiners (MBSWE) – Category 1
• National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) – Yes
Date, Time, Location
October 24, 2017; 8 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.; Upcounty Regional Services Center (UCRSC), Suite 1100 – Room 2, 12900
Middlebrook Road, Germantown, MD 20874
• Casey Carter Swegman, MA, Project Manager, Tahirih Justice Center, Forced Marriage Initiative
• Dina Baky, MSc, Project Associate, Tahirih Justice Center
Coming soon! Please contact us if you have any questions about registration.